Atlanta sources reported that Aisha Yaqoob, a woman of color, Muslim, activist and the daughter of Pakistani immigrants, defeated Wayne Slear (71.16% to 28.84%) in the Georgia House of Representatives District 97 Democratic primary election on Tuesday. She will face Republican Bonnie Rich in November.
Accordingly Dr Indran Indrakrishnan, noted gastroenterologist and Emory professor, lost to Rich in the crowded Republican primary that had a total of six contenders. Meanwhile the House seat is being vacated by retiring Republican state Rep. Brooks Coleman.
Meanwhile Aisha is a professional advocate for
immigrant rights at the state Capitol, working with legislators on both sides
of the aisle to push for civil rights for immigrants and people of color. As
policy director for a nonprofit legal and advocacy center, Aisha monitors
local, state, and federal policies that affect immigrants and works to fight
for their rights. Furthermore Aisha moved to Gwinnett County at the age of 6
from south Florida. Since then she has lived in the Collin Hills area, Suwanee
and now Duluth. Aisha is the middle of five children.
UN body says Many Indians are becoming fatter, many unnourished United Nations stated that More Indians are getting fatter but fewer are undernourished as the nation goes from lessening the impact of hunger to developing the new health issue of obesity, according to the Food and Agriculture Organization. The number of obese adults has gone up in India from 24.1 million in 2012 to 32.8 million in 2016, according to The State of Food Security and Nutrition
- 9 employees of Indian restaurant detained by ICE raid
- Joe Biden fortifies US collective capabilities with India
- House of Representatives passed legislation for decades-long backlog of green cards
- Pink City Jaipur made an official entry in the list of UNESCO World Heritage
- NRIs can get Aadhaar Card within 180 days
- Indians among fastest growing nationalities of foreign students in UK
- Kamala Harris participated in 2019 San Francisco Pride Parade
- Modi, Trump & Shinzo discussed about peace & security
- India and US on Wednesday vowed to work as Friends
- 250 migrant children moved from an overcrowded border station in US state of Texas
- Virat Kohli is in 100 World's Highest paid list of athletes
- Will US consider caps on H1B visas for India?
- Ranveer Made his commentary debut in 2019 World Cup
- Donald Trump again taken aim at India tariffs on Harley Davidson motorcycles
- Barack Obama appreciated Sikh for wearing Rainbow turban